[REVIEW] Sing, unburied, sing

Sing, Unburied, SingSing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

High expectations are always a bad thing. I wanted this book to be a 5* and that's probably what ruined my rating... not ruined, it's a very solid 4*, but not more than that -- for me, of course.
I loved the writing, I loved the touch of magical realism, I cared for Jojo and Kayla from the first pages...
It described perfectly the troubles of a struggling family without ever telling too much... a mother with an addiction, the kids' feelings for their absent mom and dad, disease... the amount of magic was enough until the last chapters: when it started to sound more like exorcism, and everyone was "gifted" to see dead people, the book lost me a bit... solid 4*, but not 5.
In the end, I feel the author made an effort to remind the readers of the ones who suffered horrible deaths and should be always remembered and acknowledged, never forgotten. I liked that!

View all my reviews

Sem comentários: