[REVIEW] The Lessons of History

The Lessons of HistoryThe Lessons of History by Ariel Durant
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I was 10-16 y.o. I hated History as a subject --> positive side: it helped me realize I absolutely wanted to practice an exact science.
Now, getting closer to my 40s and watching (what the hell is wrong in) the world, I am more and more curious about this subject.
Sapiens came and I had to give in a little "ok, this is actually interesting..." so I decided to give this book a try, recommended to me by readers whose brain I respect... And the first chapter grabbed me: "History is a laboratory where hundreds of thousands of experiments were made". How come no one has ever told me this before?!
I really enjoyed reading it, but some parts I had to take with a pinch of salt: this book is old and Will Durant has very strong opinions about subjects that today I find sexist, racist, etc... but that didn´t stop me from reading and reflecting why I do not agree with him -- it was a great exercise and I will definitely re-read it!

View all my reviews

Sem comentários: